Correction to a Citizenship Certificate
The personal information on your Canadian citizenship certificate should be up to date based on your current official documents.
You should request to update or correct your citizenship certificate or card if:
- The information on your citizenship certificate or card is incorrect
- Legally you have changed your name, date of birth, or gender (sex)
- If you have changed your last name because of marriage, you don’t need to change your last name on your Canadian citizenship certificate.
To correct or update your Canadian citizenship certificate you should submit:
- An application for a replacement certificate
- A supplementary declaration explaining what correction you want to make on your Citizenship certificate or card
- A copy of your identification cards with your current information
- Legal documents regarding the changes
As of February 1, 2012, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada no longer issues wallet-sized citizenship cards (a card with the photograph). Citizenship Canada has introduced a new citizenship certificate – a letter-sized document bearing no photograph. If your citizenship card is damaged or lost, you will receive a citizenship certificate instead. Like the previous plastic, wallet-sized citizenship card, the new citizenship certificate is a legal document that will be used to determine Canadian citizenship status.
A Canadian citizenship certificate is not a travel or identity document. To travel internationally you need a passport. You need your original Canadian citizenship certificate to apply for a Canadian passport.
We Can Help!
Applying to replace your Canadian Citizenship certificate can be complicated and challenging. A high number of applications are rejected due to application errors or missing documents. If your application is returned for correction, the process would be delayed by a minimum of ten months.
We can help you to apply to replace your lost or stolen Canadian Citizenship certificate or card without any stress and unnecessary delays by ensuring the process is done professionally, quickly, and efficiently. We will assist you with:
- Filling out the proper forms
- Helping with the preparation of required supporting documents
- Assessing your application, documents, and citizenship photos prior to submission
- Submitting your application on your behalf
- Acting as a liaison between our clients and government agencies, such as Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Let our readily available Canadian Citizenship experts ensure that your Grant of Canadian Citizenship application is done effectively to avoid rejection, delays, hassles, and headaches.
We’re here to help!
Canada AG Immigration & Citizenship Services is a regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant service registered and licensed by the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) as well as a proud member of the Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC) and an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau (BBB).